Whether you’re a homeowner or a business owner in Exeter, a blocked drain can be a real issue. They can lead to many problems, such as water leaks, foul smells, and even property damage. In such cases, professional help becomes essential to handling blocked drains and mitigating the potential risks.
Drain blockages usually occur due to the accumulation of fat, oil, grease, or other large objects down the drain- things that shouldn’t ordinarily go down there. So, what should you do when faced with this plumbing annoyance? This article is your professional guide to handling blocked drains in Exeter.
## Understanding the Causes
Before moving to the solutions, it’s crucial to understand the common causes of drain blockages in more detail. Here are the most prevalent ones:
– Hair: This is a common cause of blockages in bathroom drains. Hair strands tend to tangle and accumulate over time, creating a blockage that prevents water from flowing down smoothly.
– Fat and Grease: This largely affects kitchen sinks. When you rinse off fat and grease from your dishes and pans, they solidify in the pipes and cause blockages over time.
– Foreign Objects: Accidental dropping of objects such as soap bars, toys, cloth, or sanitary items can block the drains.
– Tree Roots: This often impacts outdoor drains. The roots can infiltrate your pipes, causing significant blockages.
## How to Identify Blocked Drains
It’s important to identify the early signs of a blocked drain before it turns into a potentially disastrous situation. Here are some hints:
– Foul Smell: This is usually the first sign. If there’s an unpleasant odour emanating from your drains, chances are they are blocked.
– Slow Draining: If the water is draining slowly from your bath, sink, or shower, it’s a clear sign of a potential blockage.
– Gurgling Sounds: You might hear strange noises from the drains, toilets, or plugs, which could be due to trapped air in the pipes.
## Professional Tips to Unblock Your Drains
To deal with a blocked drain effectively, it’s advisable to hire professional plumbers in Exeter. They are trained and equipped to handle any drainage problem. Here are some methods professionals may use:
– Drain Rodding: This involves using a long rod to punch a hole through the blockage to clear the drain.
– Drain Jetting: This high-pressure drain jetting technique is used for stubborn blockages. It’s very effective and can also remove accumulated grease or fat.
– CCTV Drain Surveys: For complex blockages, professionals may use a CCTV camera to identify the issue and figure out the best way to tackle it.
## Preventive Measures
Prevention is always better than cure when it comes to drain blockages. Here are some measures you can take:
– Always dispose of grease and fat appropriately, blocked drains exeter and do NOT let them go down the drain.
– Install drain guards to catch hair and other objects.
– Regular professional inspections and cleaning can help avoid such issues in the long term.
While these preventive measures can help reduce the chances of experiencing a blocked drain, emergencies can still occur. That’s why it’s essential to have a trusted professional plumber at the ready.
Whether your situation is an emergency or a routine drain check-up, Exeter professionals have the expertise to deal with the issue effectively and efficiently. So, don’t let blocked drains become a hassle for you. Equip yourself with the knowledge, follow the proper preventive steps, and get access to professional services when necessary.